Skip to Main Content
Inheritance of RFLP loci in a loblolly pine three-generation pedigreeAuthor(s): M.D. Devey; K.D. Jermstad; C.G. Tauer; D.B. Neale
Source: Theor Appl Genet 83 (2):238-242
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: Download Publication (933.61 KB)
DescriptionA high-density restriction fragment length polymorphism (RFLP) linkage map is being constructed for loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.). Loblolly pine cDNA and genomic DNA clones were used as probes in hybridizations to genomic DNAs prepared from grandparents, parents, and progeny of a three-generation outbred pedigree. Approximately 200 probes were evaluated for their ability to detect polymorphic loci between DNAs prepared from the two parent trees, 20-1010 and 11-1060, and cut with four different restriction enzymes: BamHI, DraI, EcoRI, and HindIII. More than half of the probes detecting single- or low-copy number sequences (56%) revealed polymorphisms between the two parents with at least one restriction enzyme. If necessary, an additional hybridization to DNAs prepared from the four grandparent trees was conducted to determine the zygosity of parent trees. Ten of these probes were hybridized to progeny DNAs from this cross and, as expected, the markers were inherited as simple codominant Mendelian alleles. Four of the ten probes detected segregation of three alleles at one locus, and four probes detected more than one independently segregating locus. RFLPs can be used immediately to assess genetic diversity in conifer populations and to "fingerprint" genotypes in tree improvement programs.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationDevey, M.D.; Jermstad, K.D.; Tauer, C.G.; Neale, D.B. 1991. Inheritance of RFLP loci in a loblolly pine three-generation pedigree. Theor Appl Genet 83 (2):238-242.
KeywordsPinus taeda L., Restriction fragment length polymorphisms, genome mapping
- Inheritance of restriction fragment length polymorphisms, random amplified polymorphic DNAs and isozymes in coastal Douglas-fir
- Identification of quantitative trait loci influencing wood specific gravity in an outbred pedigree of loblolly pine
- Mapped DNA probes from Ioblolly pine can be used for restriction fragment length polymorphism mapping in other conifers
XML: View XML