Skip to Main Content
Chapter 05: Basic characters used in the identification of wood with a hand lensAuthor(s): Alex Wiedenhoeft
Source: In: Identification of Central American Woods. 2011. Forest Products Society, Madison, WI. Publication #7215-11, ISBN 978-1-892529-58-9. pp. 31-46.
Publication Series: Book Chapter
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: Download Publication (7.97 MB)
DescriptionThe characters presented in this chapter represent the minimal set of terms and concepts necessary to build skill and proficiency in wood identification with a hand lens. This list is not exhaustive, nor is it in complete agreement with the characters used by other authors, in other references, or in traditional microscopic wood anatomy.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWiedenhoeft, Alex. 2011. Chapter 05: Basic characters used in the identification of wood with a hand lens. In: Identification of Central American Woods. 2011. Forest Products Society, Madison, WI. Publication #7215-11, ISBN 978-1-892529-58-9. pp. 31-46.
Keywordswood identification, hand lens, Central America, Central American woods, commercial timber, pattern recognition, wood identification process, biology of wood, wood anatomy, wood structure, scientific names, loupe, macroscopic, sample preparation, surfacing, cutting, characters, vessels, rays, parenchyma, identification key, species description, similar woods, species summaries, wood collection, wood identification references, InsideWood
- Chapter 03: Correct use of a hand lens
- Chapter 04: Bloodless wood specimen preparation for hand lens observation
- Elementary software for the hand lens identification of some common iranian woods
XML: View XML