Skip to Main Content
Container configuration influences western larch and big sagebrush seedling developmentAuthor(s): Matthew Mehdi Aghai
Source: Moscow, ID: University of Idaho. Thesis. 57 p.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (689.73 KB)
DescriptionBig sagebrush (Artemisia tridentata Nutt.), a woody shrub, and western larch (Larix occidentalis Nutt.), a deciduous conifer, are among many western North American species that have suffered a decline in presence and natural regeneration across their native ranges. These species are economically, ecologically, and intrinsically valuable, therefore many current restoration and management efforts are working to mitigate their decline. Outplanting container-grown seedlings can expedite the regeneration process and create future propagule sources on sites where other regeneration strategies may be more difficult. Research was conducted with the intention of improving survival and growth of both big sagebrush and western larch seedlings through optimizing container nursery culture. Two general objectives were to 1) evaluate the influence of container volume and growing density on seedlings grown at the nursery, and 2) examine the post-transplant effect of stocktype on seedling growth through simulations of optimal and suboptimal field conditions. Results indicate that big sagebrush grown in a high-density arrangement was beneficial to shoot growth at the nursery and following transplant. Also, container volume did not contribute to differences in sagebrush growth during simulated field conditions.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAghai, Matthew Mehdi. 2012. Container configuration influences western larch and big sagebrush seedling development. Moscow, ID: University of Idaho. Thesis. 57 p.
Keywordsbig sagebrush, Artemisia tridentata, western larch, Larix occidentalis, container, seedlings
- Seeding considerations in restoring big sagebrush habitat
- Transcriptome sequencing, characterization, and polymorphism detection in subspecies of big sagebrush (Artemisa tridentata)
- Transcriptome characterization and polymorphism detection between subspecies of big sagebrush (Artemisia tridentata)
XML: View XML