Environmental futures research: experiences, approaches, and opportunitiesAuthor(s): David N., comp Bengston
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-107. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 79 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report - Proceedings
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (925.98 KB)
Related Research Highlights
Environmental Futures Research: Experiences, Approaches, and Opportunities
DescriptionThese papers, presented in a special session at the International Symposium on Society and Resource Management in June 2011, explore the transdisciplinary field of futures research and its application to long-range environmental analysis, planning, and policy. Futures research began in the post-World War II era and has emerged as a mature research field. Although the future of complex social-ecological systems cannot be predicted, these papers show how futures research can offer perspectives and methods that help researchers, decisionmakers, and other stakeholders explore alternative futures and gain environmental foresightinsight that can inform decisionmaking on environmental challenges. The second half of the collection applies the methods and approaches of futures research to natural resource management.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
CitationBengston, David N., comp. 2012. Environmental futures research: experiences, approaches, and opportunities. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-107. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 79 p.
Keywordsstrategic foresight, scenarios, trends, forecasting, change, environmental scanning
- The Forest Futures Horizon Scanning project
- Futures Research Methods and Applications in Natural Resources
- Futures research: A neglected dimension in environmental policy and planning
XML: View XML