Skip to Main Content
Linking global scenarios to national assessments: Experiences from the Resources Planning Act (RPA) AssessmentAuthor(s): Linda L. Langner; Peter J. Ince
Source: In: Bengston, David N., comp. 2012. Environmental futures research: experiences, approaches, and opportunities. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-107. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 55-65.
Publication Series: Proceedings - Paper (PR-P)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (211.26 KB)
DescriptionThe Resources Planning Act (RPA) Assessment provides a nationally consistent analysis of the status and trends of the Nation's renewable forest resources. A global scenario approach was taken for the 2010 RPA Assessment to provide a shared world view of potential futures. The RPA Assessment scenarios were linked to the global scenarios and climate projections used in the Third and Fourth Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change Assessments to recognize the influence of global forces on domestic resource conditions and trends. This paper reviews the challenges encountered, approaches taken to address these challenges, and the lessons learned.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLangner, Linda L.; Ince, Peter J. 2012. Linking global scenarios to national assessments: Experiences from the Resources Planning Act (RPA) Assessment. In: Bengston, David N., comp. 2012. Environmental futures research: experiences, approaches, and opportunities. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-107. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 55-65.
Keywordsstrategic foresight, scenarios, trends, forecasting, change, environmental scanning
- Future scenarios: a technical document supporting the Forest Service 2010 RPA Assessment
- Future scenarios: A technical document supporting the USDA Forest Service 2020 RPA Assessment
- Framework for the assessment
XML: View XML