Skip to Main Content
Report on the 31st Southern Forest Tree Improvement Conference (SFTIC)Author(s): C. Dana Nelson; Randall J Rousseau; Joshua P Adams; M. Cetin Yuceer
Source: Tree Genetics & Genomes 8:439-441
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (377.28 KB)
DescriptionThe 31st Southern Forest Tree Improvement Conference was held 14-16 June 2011 in Biloxi, MS, USA. This marks 60 years of biennial technical conferences supported by the Southern Forest Tree Improvement Committee. The theme of the conference was tree improvement opportunities and challenges in the economy emerging around cellulosic biomass, bioproducts, and biofuels. Invited speakers from the industry, academia, and government challenged scientists and students to employ robust technologies for developing and deploying improved trees for the emerging biomass markets as well as for the existing forest products markets. Opportunities for integrating genomics into breeding and selection programs and somatic embryogenesis into deployment practices look promising for loblolly pine (Pinus taeda); the main industrial forest tree in the southeastern USA. Advances in enabling technologies such as DNA sequencing and genotyping open new opportunities for accelerating and achieving tree improvement in all forest tree species. Of the 109 attendees, 47 were first time conference participants and 27 were students, an encouraging sign for the future of forest genetics and tree improvement.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationNelson, C. Dana; Rousseau, Randall J; Adams, Joshua P; Yuceer, M. Cetin. 2012. Report on the 31st Southern Forest Tree Improvement Conference (SFTIC). Tree Genetics & Genomes 8:439-441.
KeywordsForest Genetics, Tree Improvement, Genomics, Biotechnology, Cellulosic biofuels
- Proceedings of the 23rd Southern Forest Tree Improvement Conference
- Loblolly pine: the ecology and culture of loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.)
XML: View XML