Skip to Main Content
Assessing urban forest effects and values of the Great Plains: Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, South DakotaAuthor(s): David J. Nowak; Robert E. III Hoehn; Daniel E. Crane; Allison R. Bodine
Source: Resour. Bull. NRS-71. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 75 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (2.46 MB)
DescriptionThis report details the evaluation of the urban tree resources of the north-central Great Plains region of the United States. Specifically this report provides a more comprehensive understanding of the species composition and structural and functional benefits of the urban forests in the states of Kansas (33.1 million urban trees), Nebraska (13.3 million urban trees), North Dakota (975,000 urban trees), and South Dakota (5.4 million urban trees). Information on the structure and functions of the urban forest can be used to inform urban forest management programs and to integrate urban forests within plans to improve environmental quality throughout the Great Plains region. The results are reported for each state and may be accessed at: http://www.nrs.fs.fed.us/data/urban.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationNowak, David J.; Hoehn, Robert E. III; Crane, Daniel E.; Bodine, Allison R. 2012. Assessing urban forest effects and values of the Great Plains: Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota. Resour. Bull. NRS-71. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 75 p.
Keywordsurban forestry, ecosystem services, air pollution removal, carbon sequestration, tree value
- Urban and community forests of the North Central West region: Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota
- Northern Great Plains Forests 2015
- North Dakota's forest resources, 1994.
XML: View XML