Skip to Main Content
Current status of the U.S. hardwood industryAuthor(s): Urs Buehlmann; Matthew Bumgardner; Michael Sperber
Source: In: 2nd biennial international conference on Processing Technologies for the Biobased Products Industries; 2012 November 6-7; St. Simons Island, GA. PTF BPI: 23-25. Extended abstract.
Publication Series: Paper (invited, offered, keynote)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (570.91 KB)
DescriptionThe U.S. manufacturing sector has seen challenging years during the past decades. The major driver behind the decline of U.S. manufacturing prowess has been the ongoing globalization of trade, which has brought market share losses for U.S.-based manufacturing in many hardwood lumber consuming industries. The wood furniture, flooring, and millwork industries, for example, were especially hard hit by the worldwide opening of markets for goods and services. More recently, the U.S. wood products industry has been impacted by the bursting of the housing bubble, followed by the global financial crisis, which has further dampened demand for many hardwood products associated construction-based markets such as cabinets.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
CitationBuehlmann, Urs; Bumgardner, Matthew; Sperber, Michael. 2012. Current status of the U.S. hardwood industry. In: 2nd biennial international conference on Processing Technologies for the Biobased Products Industries; 2012 November 6-7; St. Simons Island, GA. PTF BPI: 23-25.
- Changes and Trends in the Pallet Industry: The Use of New Wood Materials
- The global position of the U S forest products industry
- Use of advanced hardwood sawmill equipment, and desired features for next-generation systems
XML: View XML