Skip to Main Content
Ground sample data for the Conterminous U.S. Land Cover Characteristics DatabaseAuthor(s): Robert Burgan; Colin Hardy; Donald Ohlen; Gene Fosnight; Robert Treder
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-41. Ogden, UT: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 13 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
View PDF (643.72 KB)
DescriptionGround sample data were collected for a land cover database and raster map that portray 159 vegetation classes at 1 km2 resolution for the conterminous United States. Locations for 3,500 1 km2 ground sample plots were selected randomly across the United States. The number of plots representing each vegetation class was weighted by the proportionate coverage of each vegetation class. Field data collected for 2,560 of these plots included dominant vegetation species; coverage, height, and diameter estimates of major tree species; coverage, depth, and density estimates for shrubs and grasses; and photographs of the sample plots. These data were compared to vegetation labels assigned in the USGS, EROS Data Center's Land Cover Characteristics (LCC) database. The vegetation types were comparable in most cases, but the ground data provided labels ordered according to decreasing vegetation frequency. A formal accuracy assessment of the LCC map was not attempted. All data are available on a CD-ROM from the EROS Data Center.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
CitationBurgan, Robert; Hardy, Colin; Ohlen, Donald; Fosnight, Gene; Treder, Robert. 1999. Ground sample data for the Conterminous U.S. Land Cover Characteristics Database. Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-41. Ogden, UT: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 13 p.
Keywordsvegetation types, vegetation mapping, satellite data
- Alternative method to validate the seasonal land cover regions of the conterminous United States
- Mapping forest vegetation for the western United States using modified random forests imputation of FIA forest plots
- Chapter 6 - Developing the LANDFIRE Vegetation and Biophysical Settings Map Unit Classifications for the LANDFIRE Prototype Project
XML: View XML