Life in Challenge Mills, Yuba County, California, 18751915, with emphasis on its people, homes, and businessesAuthor(s): Philip M. McDonald; Lona F. Lahore
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-239. Albany, CA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station. 55 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Southwest Research Station
View PDF (7.49 MB)
A shout of gold, the groan of oxen, the whoosh of lumber down a flume, the shriek of a locomotive whistle, the laughter of children, and the distress of unemployment— all portray the people and their activities in and around Challenge Mills, a small lumber-mill town in the foothills of the northern Sierra Nevada. This report is about the people of Challenge Mills and their way of life around the turn of the 20th century. Native Americans and Chinese are included among its residents. All are inextricably linked to one dynamic individual, Andrew Martin Leach, whose strong business acumen, along with his lumber mills, 50-mile flume, and 6-mile railroad, were the mainstay of the town. Over 20 homes and businesses are listed, and many colorful stories are told about what they were, where they were located, and by whom they were inhabited. This report also denotes the species of trees and the topography of the Challenge Experimental Forest and suggests its value to long-term natural science research.
individual chapters available at http://www.fs.fed.us/psw/publications/documents/psw_gtr239/.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcDonald, Philip M.; Lahore, Lona F. 2013. Life in Challenge Mills, Yuba County, California, 18751915, with emphasis on its people, homes, and businesses. Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-239. Albany, CA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station. 55 p.
KeywordsChallenge Mills, California, people, homes, businesses, Andrew Martin Leach, logging, lumbering, flume, railroad, experimental forest
- Chapter 1: Fire and fuels reduction
- The USDA Forest Service in Hawaii: the first 20 years (1957-1977)
- A program of watershed-management research
XML: View XML