Skip to Main Content
Forest statistics for North Carolina, 1990Author(s): Tony G. Johnson
Source: Resour. Bull. SE-120. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Southeastern Forest Experiment Station. 63 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Southeastern Forest Experiment Station
View PDF (2.4 MB)
DescriptionSince 1984, area of timberland in North Carolina declined almost 78,000 acres to 18.7 million acres. Nonindustrial private forest landowners control 76 percent of the State's timberland. Area classified as a pine type declined 3 percent to 6.3 million acres. Nearly 295,000 acres were harvested annually, while 357,000 per year were regenerated both by artificial and natural means. Volume of softwood growing stock increased 4 percent to 12.5 billion cubic feet. Volume of hardwood growing stock increased almost 5 percent to 20.2 billion cubic feet. Net annual growth of softwoods increased 18 percent to 590 million cubic feet. In contrast hardwood growth was down 9 percent to 570 million cubic feet. Annual removals of softwood growing stock increased 19 percent to 512 million cubic feet; hardwood removals jumped 36 percent to 428 million cubic feet. Annual mortality of softwood growing stock remained stable at 116 million cubic feet, whereas hardwood mortality doubled to 150 million cubic feet.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationJohnson, Tony G. 1991. Forest statistics for North Carolina, 1990. Resour. Bull. SE-120. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Southeastern Forest Experiment Station. 63 p.
Keywordstimberland, forest ownership, timber volume, timber growth, timber removals
- Forest statistics for southeast Georgia, 1988
- Forest statistics for the Northern coastal plain of South Carolina, 1992
- Forest statistics for South Carolina, 1993
XML: View XML