Skip to Main Content
Evaluation of sampling methods to quantify abundance of hardwoods and snags within conifer-dominated riparian zonesAuthor(s): Theresa Marquardt; Hailemariam Temesgen; Paul D. Anderson; Bianca Eskelson
Source: Annals of Forest Science. 69: 821-828
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (669.36 KB)
DescriptionSix sampling alternatives were examined for their ability to quantify selected attributes of snags and hardwoods in conifer-dominated riparian areas of managed headwater forests in western Oregon. Each alternative was simulated 500 times at eight headwater forest locations based on a 0.52-ha square stem map. The alternatives were evaluated based on how well they estimated the number of hardwoods and snags per hectare and their basal area per hectare using root mean square error and percent bias. In general, 3.6-m wide systematic strips oriented perpendicular to the stream outperformed the other alternatives. However, the variance of all six sampling alternatives was quite high and further research is needed to determine an optimal sampling method for quantifying hardwood and snag attributes in forests dominated by live conifers. When sampling snag and hardwood as a minor component of the overall forest composition within a riparian area, we suggest using 3.6-m strips perpendicular to the stream.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMarquardt, Theresa; Temesgen, Hailemariam; Anderson, Paul D.; Eskelson, Bianca. 2012. Evaluation of sampling methods to quantify abundance of hardwoods and snags within conifer-dominated riparian zones. Annals of Forest Science. 69: 821-828.
KeywordsPacific Northwest, monitoring, stand structure, strip sampling
- Accuracy and suitability of selected sampling methods within conifer dominated riparian zones
- Sampling and modeling riparian forest structure and riparian microclimate
- Can structural and functional characteristics be used to identify riparian zone width in southern Appalachian headwater catchments?
XML: View XML