Skip to Main Content
An ecoinformatics application for forest dynamics plot data management and sharingAuthor(s): Chau-Chin Lin; Abd Rahman Kassim; Kristin Vanderbilt; Donald Henshaw; Eda C. Melendez-Colom; John H. Porter; Kaoru Niiyama; Tsutomu Yagihashi; Sek Aun Tan; Sheng-Shan Lu; Chi-Wen Hsiao; Li-Wan Chang; Meei-Ru Jeng
Source: Taiwan Journal of Forest Science. 26(4): 357-369
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (743.07 KB)
DescriptionSeveral forest dynamics plot research projects in the East-Asia Pacific region of the International Long-Term Ecological Research network actively collect long-term data, and some of these large plots are members of the Center for Tropical Forest Science network. The wealth of forest plot data presents challenges in information management to researchers. In order to facilitate the management of these data, a Forest Dynamics Plot Database and Application Workshop was held in Taiwan 2009. This paper describes the results of the workshop that produced and tested an integrated information management framework. The goal for the framework was to demonstrate how fully documented data archives can be effectively used for data discovery, access, retrieval, analysis, and integration. Results from our work included setting up a database based on the Center for Tropical Forest Science structure on a local relational database (MySQL) server, an authentication interface, a metadata query web page, and 3 workflows to test the framework.
- Visit PNW's Publication Request Page to request a hard copy of this publication.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLin, Chau-Chin; Kassim, Abd Rahman; Vanderbilt, Kristin; Henshaw, Donald; Melendez-Colom, Eda C.; Porter, John H.; Niiyama, Kaoru; Yagihashi, Tsutomu; Tan, Sek Aun; Lu, Sheng-Shan; Hsiao, Chi-Wen; Chang, Li-Wan; Jeng, Meei-Ru. 2011. An ecoinformatics application for forest dynamics plot data management and sharing. Taiwan Journal of Forest Science. 26(4): 357-369.
KeywordsEAP ILTER, ecoinformatics, forest ecology, metadata, LTER
- ForestGEO: Understanding forest diversity and dynamics through a global observatory network
- Science and society: the role of long-term studies in environmental stewardship
- Integrating Social Science into the Long-Term Ecological Research (LTER) Network: Social Dimensions of Ecological Change and Ecological Dimensions of Social Change
XML: View XML