Skip to Main Content
DO3SE modelling of soil moisture to determine ozone flux to forest treesAuthor(s): P. Büker; T. Morrissey; A. Briolat; R. Falk; D. Simpson; J.-P. Tuovinen; R. Alonso; S. Barth; M. Baumgarten; N. Grulke; P.E. Karlsson; J. King; F. Lagergren; R. Matyssek; A. Nunn; R. Ogaya; J. Peñuelas; L. Rhea; M. Schaub; J. Uddling; W. Werner; L.D. Emberson
Source: Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics. 12: 5537-5562
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (2.01 MB)
DescriptionThe DO3SE (Deposition of O3 for Stomatal Exchange) model is an established tool for estimating ozone (O3) deposition, stomatal flux and impacts to a variety of vegetation types across Europe. It has been embedded within the EMEP (European Monitoring and Evaluation Programme) photochemical model to provide a policy tool capable of relating the flux-based risk of vegetation damage to O3 precursor emission scenarios for use in policy formulation. A key limitation of regional flux-based risk assessments has been the assumption that soil water deficits are not limiting O3 flux due to the unavailability of evaluated methods for modelling soil water deficits and their influence on stomatal conductance (gsto), and subsequent O3 flux. This paper describes the development and evaluation of a method to estimate soil moisture status and its influence on gsto for a variety of forest tree species.
- Visit PNW's Publication Request Page to request a hard copy of this publication.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBüker, P.; Morrissey, T.; Briolat, A.; Falk, R.; Simpson, D.; Tuovinen, J.-P.; Alonso, R.; Barth, S.; Baumgarten, M.; Grulke, N.; Karlsson, P.E.; King, J.; Lagergren, F.; Matyssek, R.; Nunn, A.; Ogaya, R.; Peñuelas, J.; Rhea, L.; Schaub, M.; Uddling, J.; Werner, W.; Emberson, L.D. 2012. DO3SE modelling of soil moisture to determine ozone flux to forest trees. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics. 12: 5537-5562.
Keywordsozone uptake, drought stress, forest trees
- Stomatal uptake of O3 in aspen and aspen-birch forests under free-air CO2 and O3 enrichment
- A statistical approach to estimate O3 uptake of ponderosa pine in a mediterranean climate
- Comparison of different stomatal conductance algorithms for ozone flux modelling [Proceedings]
XML: View XML