Skip to Main Content
Whole-tree clearcutting in New England: manager's guide to impacts on soils, streams, and regenerationAuthor(s): Robert S. Pierce; James W. Hornbeck; Wayne C. Martin; Louise M. Tritton; Tattersall C. Smith; Anthony C. Federer; Harry W. Yawney
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-172. Radnor, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 23 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (3.3 MB)
DescriptionStudies of impacts of whole-tree clearcutting in spruce-fir, northern hardwood, and central hardwood forest types are summarized for use by practicing foresters, land managers, environmental protection agencies and organizations, and the general public. Guidelines are given for protecting soils, stream water quality, nutrient cycles, and site productivity.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPierce, Robert S.; Hornbeck, James W.; Martin, Wayne C.; Tritton, Louise M.; Smith, Tattersall C.; Federer, Anthony C.; Yawney, Harry W. 1993. Whole-tree clearcutting in New England: manager''s guide to impacts on soils, streams, and regeneration. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-172. Radnor, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 23 p.
Keywordsbiomass harvesting, site productivity, water quality, spruce-fir, northern hardwoods, central hardwoods, New England
- Proceedings, 15th central hardwood forest conference
- Planting and care of fine hardwood seedlings: Planting hardwood seedlings in the Central Hardwood Region.
- Proceedings, 8th Central Hardwood Forest Conference
XML: View XML