Skip to Main Content
Diverse Applications of Electronic-Nose Technologies in Agriculture and ForestryAuthor(s): Alphus D. Wilson
Source: Sensors 13:2295-2348
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (532.01 KB)
DescriptionElectronic-nose (e-nose) instruments, derived from numerous types of aroma-sensor technologies, have been developed for a diversity of applications in the broad fields of agriculture and forestry. Recent advances in e-nose technologies within the plant sciences, including improvements in gas-sensor designs, innovations in data analysis and pattern-recognition algorithms, and progress in material science and systems integration methods, have led to significant benefits to both industries. Electronic noses have been used in a variety of commercial agricultural-related industries, including the agricultural sectors of agronomy, biochemical processing, botany, cell culture, plant cultivar selections, environmental monitoring, horticulture, pesticide detection, plant physiology and pathology. Applications in forestry include uses in chemotaxonomy, log tracking, wood and paper processing, forest management, forest health protection, and waste management. These aroma-detection applications have improved plant-based product attributes, quality, uniformity, and consistency in ways that have increased the efficiency and effectiveness of production and manufacturing processes. This paper provides a comprehensive review and summary of a broad range of electronic-nose technologies and applications, developed specifically for the agriculture and forestry industries over the past thirty years, which have offered solutions that have greatly improved worldwide agricultural and agroforestry production systems.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWilson, Alphus D. 2013. Diverse Applications of Electronic-Nose Technologies in Agriculture and Forestry. Sensors 13:2295-2348.
Keywordsartificial olfaction, electronic aroma detection, volatile organic compounds
- Electronic-nose applications for fruit identification, ripeness, and quality grading
- Developing electronic-nose technologies for investigations of WNS-susceptible bat species - Initial study results and applications
- Fungicide residue identification and discrimination using a conducting polymer electronic-nose
XML: View XML