Skip to Main Content
Forest landowners’ guide to the Federal income taxAuthor(s): John L. Greene; William C. Siegel; William L. Hoover; Mark Koontz
Source: Agriculture Handbook 731. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture. 152 p.
Publication Series: Agricultural Handbook
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (8.68 MB)
DescriptionThis guide updates and supersedes Agriculture Handbook No. 718, Forest Landowners’ Guide to the Federal Income Tax, incorporating new tax legislation that was passed and administrative changes promulgated through September 30, 2012. It introduces tax planning and basic tax considerations and explains the Federal income tax as it pertains to timber and forest land, including basis and capital accounts, reforestation tax incentives, depreciation and the Internal Revenue Code section 179 deduction, operating expenses and carrying charges, the passive loss rules, sale or disposal of timber, Government cost-sharing programs, other timber-related receipts, and information returns. In addition, this guide describes the tax implications of other forest-related topics, including donation or sale of a conservation easement, installment sales, the alternative minimum tax, self-employment taxes, Christmas tree production, and nontimber forest products; discusses forms of forest land ownership, researching tax questions, sources of tax assistance, and forest recordkeeping; and provides a glossary of terms, summaries of selected Internal Revenue Service (IRS) rulings, and a copy of IRS Form T (Timber): Forest Activities Schedule, together with instructions and annotations.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGreene, John L.; Siegel, William C.; Hoover, William L.; Koontz, Mark. 2013. Forest landowners’ guide to the Federal income tax. Agriculture Handbook 731. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture. 152 p.
- Installment sales: How they relate to timberland
- Forest Landowners' Guide to the Federal Income Tax
- Understanding Loss Deductions For Yard Trees
XML: View XML