Skip to Main Content
Chapter 9:Wood Adhesion and AdhesivesAuthor(s): Charles R. Frihart
Source: In: Handbook of Wood Chemistry and Wood Composites, Second ed., Roger Rowell, Editor, by CRC Books, 2013, pp.255 -319.
Publication Series: Book Chapter
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: View PDF (0 B)
DescriptionThe recorded history of bonding wood dates back at least 3000 years to the Egyptians (Skeist and Miron 1990, River 1994a), and adhesive bonding goes back to early mankind (Keimel 2003). Although wood and paper bonding are the largest applications for adhesives, some of the fundamental aspects leading to good bonds are not fully understood. Better understanding of these critical aspects of wood adhesion should lead to improved wood products. The chemistry of adhesives has been covered in detail (Pizzi 2003a—f); however, the fundamentals of adhesive mechanical performance are not well understood. This chapter is aimed at more in-depth coverage of those items that are not covered elsewhere. It will touch briefly on topics covered by other writers and the reader should examine the recommended books and articles for more details. Many of the books on adhesives and adhesion are long and complicated, but a brief but thorough book exists (Pocius 2002). Adhesives are designed for specific applications, leading to thousands of products (Rice 1990). Petrie has broken adhesives into 20 groups of synthetic structural, 11 groups of elastomeric, 12 groups of thermoplastic, and 6 groups of natural adhesives (Petrie 2000). Brief has summarized the vast number of markets for adhesives (Brief 1990).
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationFrihart, Charles R. 2013. Wood adhesion and adhesives. In: Rowell, Roger, ed. Handbook of Wood Chemistry and Wood Composites, Second edition. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press: 255-319. Chapter 9.
KeywordsAdhesives, Wood, Adhesion, Phenolic, Amino resin, Isocyanate, Polyurethane, Biobased
- Many Roles of Wood Adhesives
- Selected properties of particleboard panels manufactured from rice straws of different geometries
- Oxalic acid pretreatment of rice straw particles and loblolly pine chips : release of hemicellulosic carbohydrates
XML: View XML