Skip to Main Content
Nursery Diseases of Southern HardwoodsAuthor(s): S. J. Rowan; T. H. Filer; W. R. Phelps
Source: Forest Insect & Disease Leaflet 137. USDA-Forest Service, Southern Forest Experiment Station. 7 p.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication (MISC)
Station: Southern Forest Experiment Station
PDF: Download Publication (905.94 KB)
DescriptionNumerous diseases may be encountered in hardwood plantings in Southern nurseries. Although severe disease losses have been observed in only a few hardwood species, some loss occurs in nursery plantings of all species and can be expected to continue. The lack of an effective post-emergence herbicide to control weeds in hardwood nursery seedbeds and the high cost of hand weeding has made preplanting soil fumigation -which controls not only weeds but also soil-borne diseases-a common and economically feasible practice in Southern nurseries (fig. 1). Although soil fumigation has reduced losses caused by a number of soil-borne disease pathogens, additional controls are needed for the relatively large number of other hardwood diseases which may be encountered.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRowan, S. J.; Filer, T. H.; Phelps, W. R. 1983. Nursery Diseases of Southern Hardwoods. Forest Insect & Disease Leaflet 137. USDA-Forest Service, Southern Forest Experiment Station. 7 p.
- Effect of Dazomet Rate and Incorporation Method on Pine Production in Southern Pine Nurseries
- Evaluation of fumigants, EPTC herbicide, and Paenibacillus macerans in the production of loblolly pine seedlings
- Emission and soil distribution of fumigants in forest tree nurseries
XML: View XML