Skip to Main Content
ROMI 4.0: Updated Rough Mill SimulatorAuthor(s): Timo Grueneberg; R. Edward Thomas; Urs Buehlmann
Source: Forest Products Journal. 62(5): 373-377.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (288.58 KB)
DescriptionIn the secondary hardwood industry, rough mills convert hardwood lumber into dimension parts for furniture, cabinets, and other wood products. ROMI 4.0, the US Department of Agriculture Forest Service's ROugh-MIll simulator, is a software package designed to simulate the cut-up of hardwood lumber in rough mills in such a way that a maximum possible component yield is achieved. ROMI 4.0 simulates the cut-up of lumber using two common processing modes: rip first and chop first. Additionally, this latest version of ROMI includes a novel feature that allows users to analyze each board's yield when processed in either rip-first or chop-first mode. This permits yield gains to be achieved, resulting in lower material costs for industry participants. The software also allows a user to model, simulate, and examine the complex relationship among cutting bills; part dimensions, quantities, and qualities; processing options; and lumber grade mix. ROMI 4.0 includes many improvements over the previous version, including the combined rip-and-chop option and various improvements to the user interface. We subjected the software to a complete review to assure functionality and user-friendliness. This article discusses these improvements and demonstrates the usefulness of ROMI 4.0 for hardwood dimension mills for researching yield and process improvement opportunities.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGrueneberg, Timo; Thomas, R. Edward; Buehlmann, Urs. 2012. ROMI 4.0: Updated Rough Mill Simulator. Forest Products Journal. 62(5): 373-377.
- ROMI 4.0: Rough mill simulator 4.0 users manual
- ROMI-3: Rough-Mill Simulator Version 3.0: User's Guide
- Rough mill simulator version 3.0: an analysis tool for refining rough mill operations
XML: View XML