Skip to Main Content
Potential Impact of Bioenergy Demand on the Sustainability of the Southern Forest ResourceAuthor(s): Karen L. Abt; Robert C. Abt
Source: Journal of Sustainable Forestry 32:175-194
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (1.08 MB)
DescriptionThe use of woody biomass for the production of domestic bioenergy to meet policy-driven demands could lead to significant changes in the forest resource. These impacts may be limited if woody biomass from forests is defined as only the residues from logging. Yet, if only residue is used, the contribution of woody biomass to a renewable energy portfolio will also be limited. As the definition of woody biomass is expanded, the impacts on the forest resource increase, as does the contribution of woody biomass to the renewable portfolio. A combination of markets and policies will determine the extent to which woody biomass can be used to meet renewable electricity requirements. This article develops two hypothetical demand scenarios based on the use of woody biomass in renewable electricity generation and uses these scenarios in a model of timber supply in the U.S. South to evaluate the effects on both timber markets and forest resource sustainability. The demands for woody biomass are met by a combination of residues from logging on private forests and increased harvest of pine pulpwood. We identify the dynamics of key characteristics of the southern forest resource, including forest type and age class distributions that vary under these demand scenarios.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAbt, Robert C.; Abt, Karen L. 2013. Potential impact of bioenergy demand on the sustainability of the southern forest resource. Journal of Sustainable Forestry 32:175-194.
Keywordswoody biomass, renewable energy, timber supply, Southeastern United States
- Effect of policy-based bioenergy demand on southern timber markets: A case study of North Carolina
- Forest biomass-based energy
- Tongass National Forest timber demand: projections for 2015 to 2030
XML: View XML