Skip to Main Content
Description of sampling designs using a comprehensive data structureAuthor(s): John C. Byrne; Albert R. Stage
Source: In: Ek, A. R.; Shifly, S. R.; Burk, T .E., eds. Proceedings, IUFRO Conference, Forest Growth Modelling and Prediction; August 23-27 1987. Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-120, Vol. 2. St. Paul. MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station. p. 1066-1072.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: View PDF (906.42 KB)
DescriptionMaintaining permanent plot data with different sampling designs over long periods within an organization, as well as sharing such information between organizations, requires that common standards be used. A data structure for the description of the sampling design within a stand is proposed. It is based on the definition of subpopulations of trees sampled, the rules used to sample each subpopulation, and linking variables that tie these two elements together. In addition, the data structure includes the spatial relationship of plots within the stand as well as the precision with which tree characteristics are measured. These elements provide all the information necessary for the compilation of stand attributes. Changes in design through the life of a set of permanent plots are common and the data structure is able to incorporate such changes. The data structure adequately describes an actual, complex subsampling design.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationByrne, John C.; Stage, Albert R. 1988. Description of sampling designs using a comprehensive data structure. In: Ek, A. R.; Shifly, S. R.; Burk, T .E., eds. Proceedings, IUFRO Conference, Forest Growth Modelling and Prediction; August 23-27 1987. Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-120, Vol. 2. St. Paul. MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station. p. 1066-1072.
Keywordssampling designs, plot data, data structure
- A data structure for describing sampling designs to aid in compilation of stand attributes
- A standardized data structure for describing and exchanging data from remeasured growth and yield plots
- Monitoring stand structure in mature coastal Douglas-fir forests: effect of plot size.
XML: View XML