Skip to Main Content
The search for forest facts: a history of the Pacific Southwest Forest and Range Experiment Station, 19262000Author(s): Anthony Godfrey
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-233. Albany CA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station. 542 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Southwest Research Station
View PDF (5.42 MB)
DescriptionIn 1926, the California Forest Experiment Station, which later became the Pacific Southwest (PSW) Research Station, was established at the University of California, Berkeley. Today, the PSW Research Station represents the research and development branch of the USDA Forest Service in California and Hawaii and the U.S.-affiliated Pacific Islands. The PSW Research Station develops and delivers science-based information, technologies, and applications to help people make informed decisions about natural resource management, conservation, and environmental protection. This comprensive history covers forestry science in California, Hawaii, and the Pacific Islands by the Forest Service prior to 1926 and then that of the PSW Research Station to 2000. The growth of forestry research in America and California is described. The publication considers forest research in context of the New Deal, World War II, environmental forestry, and ecosystem research in California and Hawaii.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGodfrey, Anthony. 2013. The search for forest facts: a history of the Pacific Southwest Forest and Range Experiment Station, 19262000. Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-233. Albany CA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station. 542 p.
KeywordsForestry, science, history, California, Hawaii, research
- USDA Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station Sudden Oak Death Research Program: 2001-2005
- Experimental forests and ranges. Field research facilities of the Pacific Southwest Research Station.
- Historical growth plots in the Pacific Southwest
XML: View XML