Skip to Main Content
An evaluation of the carbon balance technique for estimating emission factors and fuel consumption in forest firesAuthor(s): Nelson, Jr. Ralph M.
Source: Res. Pap. SE-231. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southeastern Forest Experiment Station. 9 p
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Southeastern Forest Experiment Station
Download Publication (1.48 MB)
DescriptionEighteen experimental fires were used to compare measured and calculated values for emission factors and fuel consumption to evaluate the carbon balance technique. The technique is based on a model for the emission factor of carbon dioxide, corrected for the production of other emissions, and which requires measurements of effluent concentrations and air volume in the plume. The maximum percent difference in values was about 15 percent. These differences followed the carbon balance percent differences closely, which indicates that field application of the technique should succeed to the extent that all carbon can be accounted for in sampling.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationNelson, Ralph M., Jr. 1982. An evaluation of the carbon balance technique for estimating emission factors and fuel consumption in forest fires. Res. Pap. SE-231. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southeastern Forest Experiment Station. 9 p.
KeywordsPlume concentrations, laboratory fires, forest fire smoke, smoke management.
- A source strength model for prescribed fires in coniferous logging slash.
- Grassland and forest understorey biomass emissions from prescribed fires in the southeastern United States - RxCADRE 2012
- Intercomparison of Fire Size, Fuel Loading, Fuel Consumption, and Smoke Emissions Estimates on the 2006 Tripod Fire, Washington, USA
XML: View XML