Sustainability in outdoor recreation and tourismAuthor(s): Patricia L. Winter; Kelly Bricker; Jeremy Schultz
Source: In: Cordell, H. Ken; Betz, Carter J.; Zarnoch, Stanley J. Recreation and protected land resources in the United States: a technical document supporting the Forest Service 2010 RPA Assessment. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-GTR-169. Asheville, NC: USDA-Forest Service, Southern Research Station. Appendix papers pp. 1-5.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (388.0 KB)
Outdoor recreation and tourism represents a major service by which the public identifies with and better understands natural resources, even to the extent that it can foster environmental stewardship (for example, see Winter and Chavez 2008). Yet, myriad threats to recreation and tourism exist which need to be addressed. Addressing these threats can be facilitated through application of a sustainability framework. Sustainability, including sustainable recreation and tourism, must consider three dimensions: economic, social, and environmental. These dimensions are interdependent and a balance between them is essential to sustainability (UNEP and UNWTO 2005).
To better understand current perceptions, barriers, facilitators, and surrounding concerns related to sustainable recreation and tourism, a study was conducted through a national survey of Forest Service management personnel. The survey results provide insights into issues surrounding the idea of sustainable recreation and tourism, and suggest opportunities for furthering agency efforts in this area.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWinter, Patricia L.; Bricker, Kelly; Schultz, Jeremy. 2013. Sustainability in outdoor recreation and tourism. In: Cordell, H. Ken; Betz, Carter J.; Zarnoch, Stanley J. Recreation and protected land resources in the United States: a technical document supporting the Forest Service 2010 RPA Assessment. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-GTR-169. Asheville, NC: USDA-Forest Service, Southern Research Station. Appendix papers pp. 1-5.
- Outdoor recreation, nature-based tourism, and sustainability
- Perception, acquisition and use of ecosystem services: human behavior, and ecosystem management and policy implications
- Chapter 9: Global dimensions: Trends, lessons, and collaborative learning
XML: View XML