Skip to Main Content
Role of the USDA Forest Service experimental forest: an extension point of viewAuthor(s): Eric L. Taylor; C. Darwin Foster; Diomy Zamora
Source: In: Guldin, James M., ed. 2013. Proceedings of the 15th biennial southern silvicultural research conference. e-Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-GTR-175. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 3-6.
Publication Series: Paper (invited, offered, keynote)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (37.4 KB)
DescriptionThe expansive network of experimental forests (EF) facilitated by the U.S. Forest Service (Forest Service) encompasses a fairly complete representation of the forest ecotypes in the nation. The network, 101 years old this year (2009), has provided researchers with a wealth of long-term data on silviculture, watershed protection, and restoration. However, our nation’s needs and expectations have changed dramatically in the last 100 years. A number of structural, financial, and policy challenges must be overcome if the current EF model is to continue to exist. The Forest Service must consider how EFs fit the needs of the public in the 21st century.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationTaylor, Eric L.; Foster, C. Darwin; Zamora, Diomy. 2013. Role of the USDA Forest Service experimental forest: an extension point of view. In: Guldin, James M., ed. 2013. Proceedings of the 15th biennial southern silvicultural research conference. e-Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-GTR-175. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 3-6.
- International co-operative program on assessment and monitoring of air pollution effects on forests: The Sierra Ancha Experimental Forest, Arizona
- Experimental forests of the Southern Research Station: highlights of foundational silviculture studies
- USDA Forest Service Experimental Forests and Ranges
XML: View XML