Skip to Main Content
North Dakota's Forests 2010Author(s): David E. Haugen; Robert Harsel; Aaron Bergdahl; Tom Claeys; Christopher W. Woodall; Barry T. Wilson; Susan J. Crocker; Brett J. Butler; Cassandra M. Kurtz; Mark A. Hatfield; Charles H. Barnett; Grant Domke; Dan Kaisershot; W. Keith Moser; Andrew J. Lister; Dale D. Gormanson
Source: Resour. Bull. NRS-76. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 52 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (11.77 MB)
DescriptionThe second annual inventory of North Dakota's forests reports more than 772,000 acres of forest land with an average volume of more than 921 cubic feet per acre. Forest land is dominated by the bur oak forest type, which occupies more than a third of the total forest land area. The poletimber stand-size class represents 39 percent of forest land, followed by sawtimber (32 percent) and saplings/seedlings (28 percent). The volume of growing stock currently totals more than 341 million cubic feet. The average annual net growth of growing stock on forest land from 2006 to 2010 was approximately 6.8 million cubic feet per year. This report includes additional information on forest attributes, land use change, carbon stocks, timber products, forest health, and statistics, methods, and quality assurance of data collection. Detailed information on forest inventory methods and data quality estimates is included in a DVD at the back of this report. Tables of population estimates and a glossary are also included.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHaugen, David E.; Harsel, Robert; Bergdahl, Aaron; Claeys, Tom; Woodall, Christopher W.; Wilson, Barry T.; Crocker, Susan J.; Butler, Brett J.; Kurtz, Cassandra M.; Hatfield, Mark A.; Barnett, Charles H.; Domke, Grant; Kaisershot, Dan; Moser, W. Keith; Lister, Andrew J.; Gormanson, Dale D. 2013. North Dakota’s Forests 2010. Resour. Bull. NRS-76. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 52 p.
Keywordsinventory, forest statistics, forest land, volume, biomass, carbon, growth, removals, mortality, forest health
XML: View XML