Skip to Main Content
Reineke’s stand density index: a quantitative and non-unitless measure of stand densityAuthor(s): Curtis L. VanderSchaaf
Source: In: Guldin, James M., ed. 2013. Proceedings of the 15th biennial southern silvicultural research conference. e-Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-GTR-175. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 577-579.
Publication Series: Paper (invited, offered, keynote)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (59.89 KB)
DescriptionWhen used as a measure of relative density, Reineke’s stand density index (SDI) can be made unitless by relating the current SDI to a standard density but when used as a quantitative measure of stand density SDI is not unitless. Reineke’s SDI relates the current stand density to an equivalent number of trees per unit area in a stand with a quadratic mean diameter (Dq) of either 10 inches (English units) or 25.4 cm (metric units). Thus, when used as a quantitative measure, SDI is in fact unit dependent on two levels, one is whether English or metric units are used, and the second is whether the unit area is 1 acre (ha) or two, three, etc. Foresters should express SDI as either number of trees per acre or /ha to clearly indicate the unit. When viewing SDI as a quantitative measure, it is legitimate to use the slope of the linear portion of an individual stand’s size-density trajectory.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationVanderSchaaf, Curtis L. 2013. Reineke’s stand density index: a quantitative and non-unitless measure of stand density. In: Guldin, James M., ed. 2013. Proceedings of the 15th biennial southern silvicultural research conference. e-Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-GTR-175. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 577-579.
- Consistent definition and application of Reineke's Stand Density Index in silviculture and stand projection
- Size-density metrics, leaf area, and productivity in eastern white pine
- Design Difficulties in Stand Density Studies
XML: View XML