Skip to Main Content
Wood Pallets and Landfills - Status and Opportunities for Economic Recovery and RecyclingAuthor(s): Philip A. Araman; Robert J. Bush; A.L. Hammett; E. Brad Hager
Source: Proceedings, WASTECON/ISWA World Congress 1998, SWANA's 36th Annual International Solid Waste Exposition. 345-358
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (434 KB)
DescriptionWood pallet recovery, repair, and recycling are sound environmental activities that can reduce both forest resource demands and waste in landfills. Our studies found that 6.16 million tons of wood pallets (or 223.6 million pallets) entered municipal solid waste (MSW) and construction and demolition (C&D) landfill facilities in 1995. At the same time, wood pallet recovery, repair, and recycling by pallet firms reached 171 million pallets. Approximately 37.9 million pallets were recovered at landfills, mostly to low- or no-value uses. Because of the large amounts of recovered and unrecovered material landfills could be an additional source of pallet materials to pallet recovery/repair companies. A business plan spreadsheet for a potential pallet landfill recovery operation that would feed recovery/repair companies is presented, as are other potential value-added products that can be made from recovered pallet parts. Based on early testing of the spreadsheet the economic potential looks good.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
CitationAraman, Philip A.; Bush, Robert J.; Hammett, A.L.; Hager, E. Brad. 1998. Wood Pallets and Landfills - Status and Opportunities for Economic Recovery and Recycling. Proceedings, WASTECON/ISWA World Congress 1998, SWANA''s 36th Annual International Solid Waste Exposition. 345-358
- Bridging the gap between research and application -- business plan spreadsheets are helping wood recovery efforts
- Pallets: A Growing Source of Recycled Wood
- Landfills potential source for cores -- computer model analyzes landfills for on-site recycling operations
XML: View XML