Skip to Main Content
Lichen-based critical loads for atmospheric nitrogen deposition in Western Oregon and Washington forests, USAAuthor(s): Linda H. Geiser; Sarah E. Jovan; Doug A. Glavich; Matthew K. Porter
Source: Environmental Pollution
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (1.27 MB)
DescriptionCritical loads (CLs) define maximum atmospheric deposition levels apparently preventative of ecosystem harm. We present first nitrogen CLs for northwestern North America's maritime forests. Using multiple linear regression, we related epiphytic-macrolichen community composition to: 1) wet deposition from the National Atmospheric Deposition Program, 2) wet, dry, and total N deposition from the Communities Multi-Scale Air Quality model, and 3) ambient particulate N from Interagency Monitoring of Protected Visual Environments (IMPROVE). Sensitive species declines of 20-40% were associated with CLs of 1-4 and 3-9 kg N ha-1 y-1 in wet and total deposition. CLs increased with precipitation across the landscape, presumably from dilution or leaching of depositional N. Tight linear correlation between lichen and IMPROVE data suggests a simple screening tool for CL exceedance in US Class I areas. The total N model replicated several US and European lichen CLs and may therefore be helpful in estimating other temperate-forest lichen CLs.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGeiser, Linda H.; Jovan, Sarah E.; Glavich, Doug A.; Porter, Matthew K. 2010. Lichen-based critical loads for atmospheric nitrogen deposition in Western Oregon and Washington forests, USA. Environmental Pollution. 158: 2412-2421.
Keywordsair pollution, atmospheric deposition, critical load, lichen, nitrogen
- Nitrogen critical loads and management alternatives for N-impacted ecosystems in California
- Empirical and simulated critical loads for nitrogen deposition in California mixed conifer forests
- A comparison of empirical and modelled nitrogen critical loads for Mediterranean forests and shrublands in California
XML: View XML