Skip to Main Content
Comparison of Kalman filters in combining panel data from the annual inventory system of the South Korea National Forest InventoryAuthor(s): Tzeng Yih Lam; Raymond L. Czaplewski; Jong Su Yim; Kyeong Hak Lee; Sung Ho Kim; Rae Hyun Kim
Source: Res. Note RMRS-RN-52. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 15 p.
Publication Series: Research Note (RN)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
Download Publication (1.78 MB)
DescriptionNational Forest Inventories (NFIs) serve a primary purpose of providing crucial information for formulating national forest policy, environmental planning and reporting to international processes (Tomppo and others 2010). Pressure for timely and reliable forestry statistics urges countries to put a NFI in place or to consider alternative designs. Some countries, for example, USA and Finland, moved from a periodic inventory design to an annual inventory design (Lawrence and others 2010) with the Swedish NFI being one of the earliest examples of the transition (Matérn 1960, Ranneby and others 1987). An annual inventory systematically subdivides a plot network, with equal proportion, into a number of panels equal to the length of measurement cycle (Reams and others 2005). A measurement cycle is typically five or ten years. Panels are measured successively on an annual basis. Remeasurement starts in the next cycle once all panels are visited. Thus, an annual inventory is expected to meet the demand for continually updated information.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLam, Tzeng Yih; Czaplewski, Raymond L.; Yim, Jong Su; Lee, Kyeong Hak; Kim, Sung Ho; Kim, Rae Hyun. 2013. Comparison of Kalman filters in combining panel data from the annual inventory system of the South Korea National Forest Inventory. Res. Note RMRS-RN-52. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 15 p.
KeywordsNational Forest Inventories (NFIs), Kalman filters
- Arkansas, 2010 forest inventory and analysis factsheet
- Arkansas, 2011 forest inventory and analysis factsheet
- The Finnish national forest inventory
XML: View XML