Skip to Main Content
Greater sage-grouse winter habitat use on the eastern edge of their rangeAuthor(s): Christopher C. Swanson; Mark A. Rumble; Nicholas W. Kaczor; Robert W. Klaver; Katie M. Herman-Brunson; Jonathan A. Jenks; Kent C. Jensen
Source: The Journal of Wildlife Management. 77(3): 486-494.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (665.64 KB)
DescriptionGreater sage-grouse (Centrocercus urophasianus) at the western edge of the Dakotas occur in the transition zone between sagebrush and grassland communities. These mixed sagebrush (Artemisia sp.) and grasslands differ from those habitats that comprise the central portions of the sage-grouse range; yet, no information is available on winter habitat selection within this region of their distribution. We evaluated factors influencing greater sage-grouse winter habitat use in North Dakota during 2005-2006 and 2006-2007 and in South Dakota during 2006-2007 and 2007-2008. We captured and radio-marked 97 breeding-age females and 54 breeding-age males from 2005 to 2007 and quantified habitat selection for 98 of these birds that were alive during winter.We collected habitat measurements at 340 (177 ND, 163 SD) sagegrouse use sites and 680 random (340 each at 250 m and 500 m from locations) dependent sites.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSwanson, Christopher C.; Rumble, Mark A.; Kaczor, Nicholas W.; Klaver, Robert W.; Herman-Brunson, Katie M.; Jenks, Jonathan A.; Jensen, Kent C. 2013. Greater sage-grouse winter habitat use on the eastern edge of their range. The Journal of Wildlife Management. 77(3): 486-494.
KeywordsArtemisia, Centrocercus urophasianus, greater sage-grouse, habitat, North Dakota, resource selection, sagebrush, South Dakota
- Ecology of greater sage-grouse in the Dakotas
- Resource selection during brood-rearing by Greater Sage-Grouse [chapter 12]
- Sage-grouse habitat restoration symposium
XML: View XML