Skip to Main Content
Criterion III: Maintenance of rangeland productive capacity [Chapter 4]Author(s): G. R. Evans; R. A. Washmgton-Allen; R. D. Child; J. E. Mitchell; B. R. Bobowskl; R. V. Loper; B. H. Allen-Diaz; D. W. Thompson; G. R. Welling; T. B. Reuwsaat
Source: In: Mitchell, John E. Criteria and Indicators for Sustainable Rangeland Management. Cooperative Extension Service Publication SM-56. Laramie, WY: University of Wyoming. p. 139-170.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (3.58 MB)
DescriptionMaintenance of rangeland productive capacity is one of five criteria established by the Sustainable Rangelands Roundtable (SRR) to monitor and assess rangeland sustainable management. Within this criterion, six indicators were developed through the Delphi Process and the expert opinions of academicians, rangeland scientists, rangeland management agency personnel, non-governmental organization representatives, and other interested stakeholders. The indicators are standing aboveground biomass; annual net primary productivity; percent of suitable rangeland grazed by livestock; number of livestock on rangeland; presence and densities of wildlife functional groups on rangeland; and annual removal of native hay and non-forage plant materials, landscaping materials, edible and medicinal plants, and wood products from rangeland. A rationale for these six indicators is made.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationEvans, G. R.; Washmgton-Allen, R. A.; Child, R. D.; Mitchell, J. E.; Bobowskl, B. R.; Loper, R. V.; Allen-Diaz, B. H.; Thompson, D. W.; Welling, G. R.; Reuwsaat, T. B. 2010. Criterion III: Maintenance of rangeland productive capacity [Chapter 4]. In: Mitchell, John E. Criteria and Indicators for Sustainable Rangeland Management. Cooperative Extension Service Publication SM-56. Laramie, WY: University of Wyoming. p. 139-170.
Keywordssustainable management, phytomass, livestock, wildlife, non-forage products, Sustainable Rangelands Roundtable
- Applicability of Montreal Process Criterion 2: Productive capacity--to rangeland sustainability
- Criterion II: Indicators for conservation and maintenance of plant and animal resources on rangelands (Chapter 3)
- Criterion I: Soil and water conservation on rangelands [Chapter 2]
XML: View XML