Skip to Main Content
Kalman filter to update forest cover estimatesAuthor(s): Raymond L. Czaplewski
Source: In: LaBau, Vernon J.; Cunia, Tiberius, tech. eds. State-of-the-art methodology of forest inventory: a symposium proceedings. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-263. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station: 457-465.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (640.0 KB)
DescriptionThe Kalman filter is a statistical estimator that combines a time-series of independent estimates, using a prediction model that describes expected changes in the state of a system over time. An expensive inventory can be updated using model predictions that are adjusted with more recent, but less expensive and precise, monitoring data. The concepts of the Kalman filter are explained with a simple, hypothetical example of estimating percentage of forest cover over time, using remote sensing and field plots from a forest inventory.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCzaplewski, Raymond L. 1990. Kalman filter to update forest cover estimates. In: LaBau, Vernon J.; Cunia, Tiberius, technical editors. State-of-the-art methodology of forest inventory: a symposium proceedings. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-263. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station: 457-465.
KeywordsKalman filter, estimates, forest cover, inventory
- Opportunities to improve monitoring of temporal trends with FIA panel data
- Monitoring land/forest cover using the Kalman filter: A proposal
- Kalman filter for statistical monitoring of forest cover across sub-continental regions
XML: View XML