Skip to Main Content
Examination of roundwood utilization rates in West VirginiaAuthor(s): Shawn T. Grushecky; Jan Wiedenbeck; Curt C. Hassler
Source: Forest Products Journal. 62(7/8): 507-515.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (248.36 KB)
DescriptionForest harvesting is an integral part of the West Virginia forest economy. This component of the supply chain supports a diverse array of primary and secondary processors. A key metric used to describe the efficiency of the roundwood extraction process is the logging utilization factor (LUF). The LUF is one way managers can discern the overall use of harvested roundwood. To update LUF in West Virginia, roundwood utilization during harvesting operations was investigated on 30 active sites in 2008. Approximately 3.6 markets were used by the loggers sampled. The average utilization rate at the time of felling and bucking in the woods was 87.8 percent for trees sampled during this study. Over 97 percent of the roundwood that was processed on the landing was utilized. No relationship was found between the number of markets and utilization rates. Results from this study provide estimates on the overall efficiency of harvest operations as well as the characteristics and quantity of material being left after harvest. This information is important to those involved in the management of the hardwood resource as well as those making investments in wood processing industries.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGrushecky, Shawn T.; Wiedenbeck, Jan; Hassler, Curt C. 2013. Examination of roundwood utilization rates in West Virginia. Forest Products Journal. 62(7/8): 507-515.
- Roundwood markets and utilization in West Virginia and Ohio
- Examination of regional hardwood roundwood markets in West Virginia
- An Examination of Regional Hardwood Roundwood Markets in West Virginia
XML: View XML