Skip to Main Content
Taxonomy of Epithele (Polyporales, Basidiomycota)Author(s): Karen K. Nakasone
Source: Sydowia. 65(1): 59-112.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (3.01 MB)
Related Research Highlights
Scientist Finds New Species of Wood-inhabiting Fungi From Belize, Venezuela, and Réunion
DescriptionSeventeen species are accepted in the genus Epithele, including new species E. belizensis, E. ceracea, E. reunionis, and E. ryvardenii. Descriptions and illustrations are provided for all species. The generic concept is emended to include Corticium bambusae, from Trinidad on bamboo, which lacks sterile hyphal pegs; the new combination Epithele bambusae is proposed. The type specimens of Dendrothele duthieae, D. subfusispora, Epithele macarangae, and Laeticorticium odontioides were examined and determined to be conspecific with E. interrupta. The monotypic genus Skeletohydnum is considered distinct from Epithele, and Tubulicium ramonense is placed in synonymy with Skeletohydnum nikau. A new genus, Myriothele, is proposed for Epithele philippiae, which has urniform basidia and spherical basidiospores. Xenasma macrosporum is transferred to Dextrinocystis. A key to the accepted species of Epithele is presented as well as a preliminary key to the corticioid and polyporoid genera and species with hyphal spines, sterile ridges, and plates.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationNakasone, Karen K. 2013. Taxonomy of Epithele (Polyporales, Basidiomycota). Sydowia. 65(1): 59-112.
KeywordsEpithele typhae, epithelioid fungi, Grammothele, hyphal pegs, Mycothele
- Two new species of Aleurodiscus s.l. (Russulales, Basidiomycota) on bamboo from tropics
- The Manufacturing Process of Bamboo Pellets
- Mycoaciella : a synonym of phlebia
XML: View XML