Skip to Main Content
Pennsylvania's Forests, 2009Author(s): George L. McCaskill; William H. McWilliams; Carol A. Alerich; Brett J. Butler; Susan J. Crocker; Grant M. Domke; Doug Griffith; Cassandra M. Kurtz; Shawn Lehman; Tonya W. Lister; Randall S. Morin; W. Keith Moser; Paul Roth; Rachel Riemann; James A. Westfall
Source: Resour. Bull. NRS-82. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 52 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (18.72 MB)
Related Research Highlights
Young Forest Habitat Health Studied in Northeast and Midwest
DescriptionThe second full annual inventory of Pennsylvania's forests reports a stable base of 16.7 million acres of forest land. Northern hardwoods and mixed-oak forest-type groups account for 54 and 32 percent of the forest land, respectively. The State's forest land averages about 61 dry tons of wood per acre and almost 6,500 board feet (International ¼-inch rule) per acre on timberland. The ratio of average annual net growth-to-removals for growing-stock trees on timberland was about 2:1. Additional information is presented on forest land use, forest resources, forest sustainability, forest health (including regeneration), and timber products. Detailed information on forest inventory methods and data quality estimates are included in a DVD at the back of the report. Tables of population estimates and a glossary are also included.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcCaskill, George L.; McWilliams,William H.; Alerich, Carol A.; Butler, Brett J.; Crocker, Susan J.; Domke, Grant M.; Griffith, Doug; Kurtz, Cassandra M.; Lehman, Shawn; Lister, Tonya W.; Morin, Randall S.; Moser, W. Keith; Roth, Paul; Riemann, Rachel; Westfall, James A. 2013. Pennsylvania’s Forests, 2009. Resour. Bull. NRS-82. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 52 p.
Keywordsinventory, timberland, forest land, sampling error, sample design, volume, growth, mortality, removals
XML: View XML