Skip to Main Content
1992 Data Bank for Red Oak LumberAuthor(s): Charles J. Gatchell; Janice K. Wiedenbeck; Elizabeth S. Walker; Elizabeth S. Walker
Source: FS Research Paper NE-669. 47 pp.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
View PDF (223.04 KB)
DescriptionThe 1992 Data Bank for Red Oak Lumber is a collection of fully described FAS, Selects, No. 1 Common, and No. 2A Common boards (a total of 1,578 at present). The data bank has two unique features to aid in sample selection. The first feature is the double grading of FAS, No. 1 Common, and No. 2A Common boards to reflect the surface area in grading cuttings when grading with standard National Hardwood Lumber Association (NHLA) procedures and when using as many grading cuttings as possible under NHLA rules. The latter gives a more accurate predictor of the potential utility of the board. The second feature is the inclusion of quality levels for the No. 1 Common and No. 2A Common boards. Written for researchers and industrial decision makers who may have only a limited knowledge of the NHLA grades, the data bank contains a limited description of factors affecting the grades. Included are a description of Realistic Grading System (ReGS), the computer program for grading lumber; some reasons why lumber users who buy kiln dried lumber may want to specify the Special Kiln Dried Rule; the effect of kiln-drying on soundness of knots; and the surprising finding that relatively few No. 1 Common and No. 2A Common boards contain any pith at all.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGatchell, Charles J.; Wiedenbeck, Janice K.; Walker, Elizabeth S. 1992. 1992 Data Bank for Red Oak Lumber. FS Research Paper NE-669. 47 pp.
- 1998 data bank for kiln-dried red oak lumber
- Quality Characteristics of Appalachian Red Oak Lumber
- A Red Oak Data Bank for Computer Simulations of Secondary Processing
XML: View XML