Skip to Main Content
Efficacy and nontarget impact of midstory injection in bottomland hardwoodsAuthor(s): James C. Rainer; Derek K. Alkire; Andrew B. Self; Andrew W. Ezell; Stephen Demarais; Bronson K. Strickland
Source: In: Miller, Gary W.; Schuler, Thomas M.; Gottschalk, Kurt W.; Brooks, John R.; Grushecky, Shawn T.; Spong, Ben D.; Rentch, James S., eds. Proceedings, 18th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; 2012 March 26-28; Morgantown, WV; Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-117. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 404-410.
Publication Series: Paper (invited, offered, keynote)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (433.57 KB)
DescriptionDespite the well-documented need for midstory control in bottomland hardwood regeneration, little research has documented the efficacy of such efforts, or the potential negative effects on nontarget stems. More than 72,000 midstory stems located on 90 acres of northern Mississippi bottomland hardwood forest were injected with an imazapyr solution during August 2009. Crown reduction in injected stems was 96.8 percent at 1 year after treatment, with a range of 91.8 to 100 percent by species. Nontarget impact attributed to improper injection technique was observed in one location, but the minor foliar symptoms are not expected to result in long-term damage. No nontarget impacts were observed in other trees on the study site. Residual crop trees did not exhibit negative symptoms from the injection. Injection is effective for controlling midstory stems found in bottomland hardwoods and has a negligible effect on nontarget stems. Midstory injection is often a crucial component of regeneration in bottomland hardwoods and should continue to be used by land managers.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
CitationRainer, James C.; Alkire, Derek K.; Self, Andrew B.; Ezell, Andrew W.; Demarais, Stephen; Strickland, Bronson K. 2013. Efficacy and nontarget impact of midstory injection in bottomland hardwoods. In: Miller, Gary W.; Schuler, Thomas M.; Gottschalk, Kurt W.; Brooks, John R.; Grushecky, Shawn T.; Spong, Ben D.; Rentch, James S., eds. Proceedings, 18th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; 2012 March 26-28; Morgantown, WV; Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-117. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 404-410.
- Efficacy and non-target impact of midstory injection in bottomland hardwoods
- A Comparison of Oak Regeneration Conditions Following Midstory Injection and Partial Overstory Removal in a Tombigbee River Terrace
- A comparison of two stem injection treatments applied to American beech in central West Virginia
XML: View XML