Skip to Main Content
The northern global change research programAuthor(s): Richard A. Birdsey; John L. Hom; Marla Emery
Source: In: Hom, John; Birdsey, Richard; O'Brian, Kelly, eds. Proceedings 1995 meeting of the northern global change program; Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-214. Radnor, PA: U. S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station: 1-6.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (451.19 KB)
DescriptionThe Forest Service goal for global change research is to establish a sound scientific basis for making regional, national, and international resource management and policy decisions in the context of global change issues. The objectives of the Northern Global Change Program (NGCP) are to understand: (1) what processes in forest ecosystems are sensitive to physical and chemical changes in the atmosphere, (2) how future physical and chemical climate changes will influence the structure, function, and productivity of forest and related ecosystems, and to what extent forest ecosystems will change in response to atmospheric changes, and (3) what are the implications for forest management and how must forest management activities be altered to sustain forest productivity, health, and diversity. The NGCP currently emphasizes scientific inquiry into the effects of multiple air pollutants and climate changes on forest ecosystems. As the program matures, the impacts of prospective changes on interactions between forest ecosystems and social and economic processes will be evaluated, as will policy options for mitigating or adapting to predicted changes.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBirdsey, Richard A.; Hom, John L.; Emery, Marla. 1996. The northern global change research program. In: Hom, John; Birdsey, Richard; O''Brian, Kelly, eds. Proceedings 1995 meeting of the northern global change program; Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-214. Radnor, PA: U. S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station: 1-6.
- Forest Service Global Change Research Strategy, 2009-2019 Implementation Plan
- Tropical forest carbon balance in a warmer world: a critical review spanning microbial- to ecosystem-scale processes
- Forest Service Global Change Research Strategy, 2009-2019
XML: View XML