Skip to Main Content
Methods for assessing Phytophthora ramorum chlamydospore germinationAuthor(s): Joyce Eberhart; Elilzabeth Stamm; Jennifer Parke
Source: In: Frankel, S.J.; Kliejunas, J.T.; Palmieri, K.M.; Alexander, J.M. tech. coords. Proceedings of the sudden oak death fifth science symposium. Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-243. Albany, CA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station: 130-133
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Southwest Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (0 B)
DescriptionGermination of chlamydospores is difficult to accurately assess when chlamydospores are attached to remnants of supporting hyphae. We developed two approaches for closely observing and rigorously quantifying the frequency of chlamydospore germination in vitro. The plate marking and scanning method was useful for quantifying germination of large numbers of chlamydospores over a 7-day period. A method involving time lapse photography of microscope slide cultures was effective for visualizing the process of germination over shorter time periods.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationEberhart, Joyce; Stamm, Elilzabeth; Parke, Jennifer. 2013. Methods for assessing Phytophthora ramorum chlamydospore germination. In: Frankel, S.J.; Kliejunas, J.T.; Palmieri, K.M.; Alexander, J.M. tech. coords. Proceedings of the sudden oak death fifth science symposium. Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-243. Albany, CA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station: 130-133.
KeywordsPhytophthora ramorum, chlamydospore, germination, assessment, banana slug
- Germination of Phytophthora ramorum chlamydospores: a comparison of separation method and chlamydospore age
- Survival of Phytophthora ramorum Chlamydospores at high and low temperatures
- The maturation and germination of Phytophthora ramorum Chlamydospores
XML: View XML