Skip to Main Content
FireStem2D A two-dimensional heat transfer model for simulating tree stem injury in firesAuthor(s): Efthalia K. Chatziefstratiou; Gil Bohrer; Anthony S. Bova; Ravishankar Subramanian; Renato P.M. Frasson; Amy Scherzer; Bret W. Butler; Matthew B. Dickinson
Source: PLoS One. 8(7): e70110. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0070110
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (1.59 MB)
DescriptionFireStem2D, a software tool for predicting tree stem heating and injury in forest fires, is a physically-based, two-dimensional model of stem thermodynamics that results from heating at the bark surface. It builds on an earlier one-dimensional model (FireStem) and provides improved capabilities for predicting fire-induced mortality and injury before a fire occurs by resolving stem moisture loss, temperatures through the stem, degree of bark charring, and necrotic depth around the stem. We present the results of numerical parameterization and model evaluation experiments for FireStem2D that simulate laboratory stem-heating experiments of 52 tree sections from 25 trees. We also conducted a set of virtual sensitivity analysis experiments to test the effects of unevenness of heating around the stem and with aboveground height using data from two studies: a low-intensity surface fire and a more intense crown fire. The model allows for improved understanding and prediction of the effects of wildland fire on injury and mortality of trees of different species and sizes.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationChatziefstratiou, Efthalia K.; Bohrer, Gil; Bova, Anthony S.; Subramanian, Ravishankar; Frasson, Renato P.M.; Scherzer, Amy; Butler, Bret W.; Dickinson, Matthew B. 2013. FireStem2D A two-dimensional heat transfer model for simulating tree stem injury in fires. PLoS One. 8(7): e70110. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0070110
- Linking surface-fire behavior, stem heating, and tissue necrosis
- Tree injury and mortality in fires: developing process-based models
- An inverse method to estimate stem surface heat flux in wildland fires
XML: View XML