Skip to Main Content
Leveraging the geospatial advantageAuthor(s): Ben Butler; Andrew Bailey
Source: Wildfire. March/April. Online: http://firechief.com/wf-technology/leveraging-geospatial-advantage.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (243.7 KB)
DescriptionThe Wildland Fire Decision Support System (WFDSS) web-based application leverages geospatial data to inform strategic decisions on wildland fires. A specialized data team, working within the Wildland Fire Management Research Development and Application group (WFM RD&A), assembles authoritative national-level data sets defining values to be protected. The use of such high-quality trusted data ensures that critical resources, infrastructure and firefighter risk exposure are considered in both the planning and implementation phases of incident management (Figure 3 and Table 1).
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
CitationButler, Ben; Bailey, Andrew. 2013. Leveraging the geospatial advantage. Wildfire. March/April. Online: http://firechief.com/wf-technology/leveraging-geospatial-advantage.
KeywordsWildland Fire Decision Support System (WFDSS), geospatial data
- Fire science application and integration in support of decision making
- Decision making for wildfires: A guide for applying a risk management process at the incident level
- Automated integration of lidar into the LANDFIRE product suite
XML: View XML