Skip to Main Content
Chapter 1.1 Crystallinity of Nanocellulose Materials by Near-IR FT-Raman SpectroscopyAuthor(s): Umesh P. Agarwal; Richard S. Reiner; Sally A. Ralph
Source: In: Production and applications of Cellulose nanomaterials, TAPPI Press, Chapter 1.1, 2013; pp. 43-44.
Publication Series: Book Chapter
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: View PDF (2.75 MB)
DescriptionConsidering that crystallinity is one of the important properties that influence the end use of cellulose nanomaterials, it is important that the former be measured accurately. Recently, a new method based on near-IR FTRaman spectroscopy was proposed to determine cellulose I crystallinity. It was reported that in the Raman spectrum of cellulose materials, the peak intensity ratio of 380 and 1,096 cm-1 bands can be used to determine cellulose crystallinity. Raman crystallinities of the calibration-set Whatman CC31 samples were correlated with the WAXS data (Segal- WAXS-21°; coefficient of determination R2 = 0.98). Average standard error calculated from replicate Raman acquisitions indicated that the Raman crystallinity model was highly reliable. In ongoing investigations, the Raman method is being applied to determine crystallinity of nanocellulose materials.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAgarwal, Umesh P.; Reiner, Richard S.; Ralph, Sally A. 2013. Crystallinity of nanocellulose materials by near-IR FT-Raman spectroscopy. In: Postek, Michael T.; Moon, Robert J.; Rudie, Alan W.; Bilodeau, Michael A., eds. Production and Applications of Cellulose Nanomaterials. Peachtree Corners, GA: TAPPI Press. pp. 43-44, Chapter 1.1. ISBN: 978-1-59510-224-9.
KeywordsRamath, Cellulose nanomaterials, Crystallinity, cellulose crystals, WAXS, CNC, CNF
- Cellulose I crystallinity determination using FT-Raman spectroscopy : univariate and multivariate methods
- Estimation of Cellulose Crystallinity of Lignocelluloses Using Near-IR FT-Raman Spectroscopy and Comparison of the Raman and Segal-WAXS Methods
- New cellulose crystallinity estimation method that differentiates between organized and crystalline phases
XML: View XML