Skip to Main Content
The Association of a Longidorus Species with Stunting and Root Damage of Loblolly Pine (Pinus taeda L.) SeedlingsAuthor(s): Stephen W. Fraedrich; Michelle M. Cram
Source: Plant Dis. 86:803-807
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (331 KB)
DescriptionA Longidorus species was consistently associated with patches of stunted and chlorotic loblolly pine seedlings at a forest-tree nursery in Georgia. Seedlings from affected areas had poorly developed root systems that lacked lateral and feeder roots. Longidorus population densities in composite soil samples from the margins of patches ranged from 9 to 67 nematodes per 100 cm3 of soil. In a growth chamber experiment, seedling root dry weight decreased with respect to the initial Longidorus dose as well as the final Longidorus populations in containers. The dry root weight of seedlings were 0.117, 0.090, 0.066, and 0.065g in containers initially infested with 0, 50, 100, and 200 Longidorus, respectively. Lateral and fine roots were lacking on seedlings at the highest doses. Populations of Longidorus increased in all containers during the experiment. Damage to loblolly pine seedlings caused by Longidorus is a previously undescribed problem in southern pine nurseries. Proper diagnosis of the problem by nematode testing laboratories may require the use of extraction techniques specific for larger nematodes such as Longidorus.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
CitationFraedrich, Stephen W.; Cram, Michelle M. 2002. The Association of a Longidorus Species with Stunting and Root Damage of Loblolly Pine (Pinus taeda L.) Seedlings. Plant Dis. 86:803-807
- Suitability of Southern Pines, Other Selected Crops, and Nutsedge to a Longidorus sp. Associated with Stunting of Loblolly Pine Seedlings
- Stunting of southern pine seedlings by a needle nematode (Longidorus sp.)
- The effect of fallow on Longidorus americanus, a nematode associated with stunting of loblolly pine seedlings in Georgia, USA
XML: View XML