Skip to Main Content
Forest statistics for the Northern Coastal Plain of North Carolina, 1990Author(s): Michael T. Thompson
Source: Resour. Bull. SE-113. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Southeastern Forest Experiment Station. 52 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Southeastern Forest Experiment Station
View PDF (13.4 MB)
DescriptionSince 1984, area of timberland in the Northern Coastal Plain of North Carolina has remained stable at 3.8 million acres. Nonindustrial private owners control two-thirds of the region's timberland. Volume of softwood growing stock increased by 6 percent to 3.1 billion cubic feet, while hardwood growing-stock volume dropped 2 percent to 3.7 billion cubic feet. Net annual growth of softwoods was up 38 percent to 178 million cubic feet. Hardwood growth was down 14,percent to 121 million cubic feet. Softwood removals increased 17 percent from 129 to 152 million cubic feet. Hardwood removals increased by 57 percent to 133 million cubic feet. Mortality of softwood growing stock was down 30 percent to 19 million cubic feet, whereas mortality of hardwood growing stock increased by 72 percent to 23 million cubic feet.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationThompson, Michael T. 1990. Forest statistics for the Northern Coastal Plain of North Carolina, 1990. Resour. Bull. SE-113. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Southeastern Forest Experiment Station. 52 p.
Keywordstimberland, land-use trends, timberland ownership, timber volume, timber growth, timber removals
- Forest statistics for Central Georgia, 1989
- Forest statistics for North Georgia, 1989
- Forest statistics for North Carolina, 1990
XML: View XML