Skip to Main Content
A density management diagram for even-aged Sierra Nevada mixed-conifer standsAuthor(s): James N. Long; John D. Shaw
Source: Western Journal of Applied Forestry. 27(4):187-195.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (1.69 MB)
DescriptionWe have developed a density management diagram (DMD) for even-aged mixed-conifer stands in the Sierra Nevada Mountains using forest inventory and analysis (FIA) data. Analysis plots were drawn from FIA plots in California, southern Oregon, and western Nevada which included those conifer species associated with the mixed-conifer forest type. A total of 204 plots met the selection criteria for analysis, which were for even-agedness and species composition. Even-agedness was characterized by a ratio between two calculations of stand density index. Species composition included admixtures of the species characterizing the Sierra Nevada mixed-conifer type with up to 80% of stand basal area contributed by ponderosa and Jeffrey pines. The DMD is unbiased with respect to species composition and therefore should be broadly applicable to the mixed-conifer type. The DMD is intended for use in even-aged stands, but may be used for uneven-aged management where a large-group selection system is used. Examples of density management regimes are illustrated, and guidelines for use are provided.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLong, James N.; Shaw, John D. 2012. A density management diagram for even-aged Sierra Nevada mixed-conifer stands. Western Journal of Applied Forestry. 27(4):187-195.
Keywordssilviculture, maximum stand density index, stocking diagram, mixed species
- A density management diagram for even-aged ponderosa pine stands
- A density management diagram for longleaf pine stands with application to red-cockaded woodpecker habitat
- Synthesis of research into the long-term outlook for Sierra Nevada forests following the current bark beetle epidemic
XML: View XML