Skip to Main Content
New records of truffle taxa in Tuber and Terfezia from TurkeyAuthor(s): Michael Angelo Castellano; Aziz Turkoglu
Source: Turkish Journal of Botany. 36: 295-298.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (297.61 KB)
Related Research Highlights
Forest Service Scientists Help Turkish Foresters Cultivate Truffle Species
DescriptionTurkey has one of the richest floras in the northern hemisphere as it is located at the convergence of 3 phytogeographical regions: Euro-Siberian, Mediterranean, and Irano-Turanian. This is reflected in the high number of plant taxa, particularly plant families that have truffles associated with them. The forests of these regions are dominated by ectomycorrhizal families including Pinaceae, Fagaceae, Betulaceae, Cistaceae, Salicaceae, and Malvaceae. There is a long history of mycological exploration in Turkey, with hundreds of papers published since 1915 (Solak et al., 2007; Türkoglu et al., 2008; Sesli & Denchev, 2010; Doğan & Aydın, 2010a, 2010b; Türkoğlu & Kuyumcu, 2010; Allı et al., 2011; Riccioni et al., 2011). Of the more than 2000 taxa of fungi recorded from Turkey, there have only been 23 taxa of truffles reported (Sesli & Denchev 2010; Gücin et al., 2010). In the present study, 3 new records (Tuber mesentericum Vittad., Tuber nitidum Vittad. and Terfezia leptoderma Tul. are identified and added to the knowledge of the macrofungal flora of Turkey.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCastellano, Michael Angelo; Turkoglu, Aziz. 2012. New records of truffle taxa in Tuber and Terfezia from Turkey. Turkish Journal of Botany. 36: 295-298.
KeywordsBiodiversity, Ascomycota, Tuber, Terfezia, Turkey
- New records of some Ascomycete truffle fungi from Turkey
- A global meta-analysis of Tuber ITS rDNA sequences: species diversity, host associations and long-distance dispersal
- Vascular flora of the Penobscot Experimental Forest, with provisional lists of lichens and bryophytes
XML: View XML