Skip to Main Content
Biodiversity analysis of vegetation on the Nevada Test SiteAuthor(s): W. K. Ostler; D. J. Hansen
Source: In: McArthur, E. Durant; Fairbanks, Daniel J., comps. Shrubland ecosystem genetics and biodiversity: proceedings; 2000 June 13-15; Provo, UT. Proc. RMRS-P-21. Ogden, UT: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. p. 238-247.
Publication Series: Proceedings (P)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (1.31 MB)
DescriptionThe Nevada Test Site (NTS) located in south-central Nevada encompasses approximately 3,567 km2 and straddles two major North American deserts, Mojave and Great Basin. Transitional areas between the two desert types have been created by gradients in elevation, precipitation, temperature, and soils. From 1996 to 1998, more than 1,500 ecological landform units were sampled at the NTS for numerous biotic and abiotic parameters. These data provide a basis for spatial evaluations of biodiversity over landscape scales at the NTS. Species diversity maps (species richness versus species abundance) have been produced. Differences in ecosystem diversity at the ecoregion, alliance, association, and ecological landform unit levels are presented. Spatial distribution maps of species presence and abundance provide evidence of where transition zones occur and the resulting impact on biodiversity. The influences of abiotic factors (elevation, soil, precipitation) and anthropogenic disturbance on biodiversity are assessed.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationOstler, W. K.; Hansen, D. J. 2001. Biodiversity analysis of vegetation on the Nevada Test Site. In: McArthur, E. Durant; Fairbanks, Daniel J., comps. Shrubland ecosystem genetics and biodiversity: proceedings; 2000 June 13-15; Provo, UT. Proc. RMRS-P-21. Ogden, UT: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. p. 238-247.
Keywordswildland shrubs, genetics, biodiversity, disturbance, ecophysiology, community ecology
- A survey of vegetation and wildland fire hazards on the Nevada Test Site
- Climate and biodiversity effects on standing biomass in Puerto Rican forests
- Soil and ecological sites of the Santa Rita Experimental Range
XML: View XML