Skip to Main Content
Land cover changes and their biogeophysical effects on climateAuthor(s): Rezaul Mahmood; Roger A. Pielke; Kenneth G. Hubbard; Dev Niyogi; Paul A. Dirmeyer; Clive McAlpine; Andrew M. Carleton; Robert Hale; Samuel Gameda; Adriana Beltrán-Przekurat; Bruce Baker; Richard McNider; David R. Legates; Marshall Shepherd; Jinyang Du; Peter D. Blanken; Oliver W. Frauenfeld; U.S. Nair; Souleymane Fall
Source: International Journal of Climatology
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
View PDF (897.23 KB)
DescriptionLand cover changes (LCCs) play an important role in the climate system. Research over recent decades highlights the impacts of these changes on atmospheric temperature, humidity, cloud cover, circulation, and precipitation. These impacts range from the local- and regional-scale to sub-continental and global-scale. It has been found that the impacts of regional-scale LCC in one area may also be manifested in other parts of the world as a climatic teleconnection. In light of these findings, this article provides an overview and synthesis of some of the most notable types of LCC and their impacts on climate. These LCC types include agriculture, deforestation and afforestation, desertification, and urbanization. In addition, this article provides a discussion on challenges to, and future research directions in, assessing the climatic impacts of LCC.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMahmood, Rezaul; Pielke, Roger A.; Hubbard, Kenneth G.; Niyogi, Dev; Dirmeyer, Paul A.; McAlpine, Clive; Carleton, Andrew M.; Hale, Robert; Gameda, Samuel; Beltrán-Przekurat, Adriana; Baker, Bruce; McNider, Richard; Legates, David R.; Shepherd, Marshall; Du, Jinyang; Blanken, Peter D.; Frauenfeld, Oliver W.; Nair, U.S.; Fall, Souleymane. 2013. Land cover changes and their biogeophysical effects on climate. International Journal of Climatology. doi: 10.1002/joc.3736
Keywordsland cover change, climate, biogeophysical impacts
- The changing effects of Alaska's boreal forest on the climate system
- A climate change primer for land managers: an example from the Sierra Nevada
- Early warning signals of regime shifts from cross-scale connectivity of land-cover patterns
XML: View XML